Tuesday, January 28, 2014

2014 Season Preview - By Hayley

It’s that time of year where NRL fans across the country begin to get really excited. The trials are fast approaching which is a reminder that the NRL kick off for 2014 is not so far away. With the World Cup and the Nines Tournament it’s really felt like the off-season has flown by this year.

It’s the time of year where hope and anticipation starts creeping in. You start to think about how your team might go this year. You dare to dream that it will be your club captain that’s holding up that Premiership Trophy come September time.
How will your team finish up at the end of the regular season in 2014? Here’s what I think:

Sydney Roosters – 3rd

Whilst the Roosters were able to keep their 2013 Grand Final squad, I don’t think they’ll be able to go back to back minor premierships. I’m tipping they’ll still have a good year, just not as good as 2013. With a lot of rep players, they’ll need to be careful of player burnout this year.

South Sydney Rabbitohs – 5th

Whilst I don’t know much about their 2nd-teir squad, they do seem to have lost a lot of depth after the 2013 season. Any injuries to their first grade squad would make things difficult for the Rabbitohs this year if that’s the case. Providing Greg Inglis can get through the season without any major injuries, I think they’ll still be in the running come finals time. Let’s hope the disappointment in coming so close so many times hasn’t got too much for the Rabbitohs.

Melbourne Storm – 6th

In my opinion, the “Big Three” are getting too old to keep up with the young, fast teams. Any team with Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk will do well; I just think they won’t do as well as previous years. On a side note, I think Ben Roberts will thrive in the Melbourne Storm system and we’ll see some great things from him this year.

Manly Sea Eagles – 1st

It pains me to say, but I think Manly will be Minor Premiers this year. The Grand Finalists don’t have many changes to their squad which means they would have started the 2014 pre-season fairly seamlessly. Providing they don’t have any ASADA drama’s they’ll have a very good year.

Cronulla Sharks – 15th

I’m tipping a difficult year for the Sharks this year with the ASADA investigations continuing. Whilst they did well to not let it affect them in the 2013 season, I think it will all get a bit too much for them in the 2014 season.

Canterbury Bulldogs – 2nd

I can’t believe I have 2 of my team’s (Parramatta) biggest rivals as 1st & 2nd but I think the Bulldogs will have a better year this year. With the Barba drama behind them, a CEO who seems to be doing great things for the club and a coach who has the “winning touch”, I think things will fall back into place for the Bulldogs.

Newcastle Knights – 7th

I’m tipping no change for the Knights this year. The only thing that’s made me keep them in the top 8 is Wayne Bennett. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t make the top 8 this year though.

North Queensland Cowboys – 11th

The Cowboys seem to have half the Australian Squad in their team and still managed to only just make the top 8 in 2013. Ok, I may be exaggerating a little about the Australian Squad but they do have a lot of rep players. On paper they should be doing a lot better than they are and I’m predicting that 2014 is not going to be the year they return to the top.

Gold Coast Titans – 9th

Other than Jamal Idris, there hasn’t been too much first grade talent lost for 2014 for the Titans. This is why I’m going to sit on the fence and say they’ll finish in the same position as 2013.

Penrith Panthers – 8th

I think the Panthers are heading good places. I think they’ll do well in 2014, however I think this year will be a stepping stone for them. There are a lot of changes to the squad and once they spend a whole season together they will be a force to be reckoned with in 2015.

New Zealand Warriors – 12th

The Warriors have shown that they can play if they want to; the key part being “if they want to”. They don’t seem to want to play for Matt Elliot which could see them end up further down the ladder than last year.

Brisbane Broncos – 13th

The Broncos are another team that seem to have lost a lot of depth. I think they are in a rebuilding phase and it will be a few more years until they are competitive then. If Ben Barba can just concentrate on football in 2014, the Broncos could prove me wrong!

Canberra Raiders – 14th

This was a really difficult one to predict. If the Raiders buy into the Ricky Stuart culture it could spell great things for the Raiders. If they don’t…well we all saw what happened at Parramatta. I’m not saying this as a disgruntled Eels fan as I am actually ok with Ricky’s decision to leave; however I don’t think being a Raiders legend will be enough for Ricky to make the Raiders a success again.

St George Illawarra Dragons – 10th

Given the Dragons have bought half the Raiders squad they may be a slightly better chance at breaking the hoodoo against the Raiders which will give them 2 extra points this year. Providing Dugan stays focused and keep out of trouble, I think the Dragons will do better in 2014.

Wests Tigers – 16th

Sorry Wests Tigers fans but it’s got to be somebody! I think the Tigers will do a good impersonation of the Eels this year. I think they’re still on their way down and haven’t quite hit rock bottom just yet.

 Parramatta Eels – 4th

You may all laugh at me but I truly do think that my beloved Eels will improve dramatically this year. The main reason is because of Brad Arthur; the players want Brad Arthur. A new coach can see massive improvements in a sporting team, the Australian Cricket team is a prime example of this. I don’t want to set my hopes too high but I do believe the Eels will be in the top 8 this year.

It’s hard to tell how teams are going to do before we’ve seen any football played so it will be interesting to see how my thoughts change after the first 5 rounds.

Be sure to let me know where you think I’m dreaming and where you think I’m spot on in my 2014 predictions!

Love,

@LadiesWhoLeague

No comments:

Post a Comment