Tuesday, July 16, 2013

When is 'not good enough', just not good enough anymore! - By Mary

Before I begin this post, I should make it clear, if it hasn't been made clear already, that the Parramatta Eels are absolutely one of my greatest loves in life. I have supported them since 1998 and suffered some heart breaking losses and celebrated some amazing victories. Throughout that time my support has remained loyal (stupidly so at times) and passionate. I have often been called an apologist for the club and have often defended the coach and our players when other people haven't been able to.

Tonight however, I am absolutely angrier than I have been in a long time. 

Today, Parramatta announced that Ken Edwards' position as Chief Executive Officer of the Parramatta Eels has ended immediately.

Before I get to the reasons for this, it has to be noted that many Parramatta fans, myself included, saw Ken Edwards as an absolutely fabulous acquisition for our Club last year. He has sports administration experience, coming from a very senior role at ANZ Stadium and had the professionalism and commercial knowledge I felt was necessary for the role. He has made big changes whilst at the Eels including increasing junior participation in parramatta by 11%, saw the retention of Jarryd Hayne, Jacob Loko, Mitchell Allgood, Ryan Morgan and actually responded to fans on Twitter! I met Ken a number of times and was impressed by him entirely and was so enthused about him coming to my Club.

Steve Sharp has said that the reason for the two parting ways is that Ken did not fit in with the new strategic direction of the club. What direction is this? The only direction I see from Parramatta at the moment is a downward spiral. I didn't think we could sink much lower, but this is basically rock bottom. This is about the last straw for me.

As a Parramatta fan, I am sick of mediocrity. It is not good enough. I don't expect my team to win every week, but I expect a basic level of performance and Parramatta has not been giving this and has not given this in a number of years.

A strong Parramatta is crucial to the success of the NRL. I have blogged in the past about the threat that the AFL poses in Western Sydney, you can read more here. Parramatta is one of the oldest and most heavily supported Clubs in the NRL. Our membership has been on the rise over the last few years despite our abysmal performances on the table. Our junior nursery is depended on by many other Clubs and a strong Parramatta does nothing but good for the game I love so much. 

This is so disappointing because now, more than ever, Parramatta needs stability and stick-a-bility. This will only plunge the club into greater difficulties - including downing player morale and ensuring that no other player would want to come play for the basket case that is currently my club. 

I am no longer content with excuses. I am no longer content with not good enough. I am no longer content with rebuilding. I want reasons, explanation and I want improvement. As a paying member, I have expectations and they are simply not being met.

For the moment, I would love this blog to spread as far as possible, so please share it with all your friends.

If you are on Twitter, make sure to share it. If you are on Facebook, share it with all your friends.

Parramatta fans deserve better.

Love,

@LadiesWhoLeague

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you!! I have had enough of all the crap our club continues to dish out to it's fans, Ken Edwards was the start of our big turn around and his list of achievements in only 9 months is amazing for any team let alone a team who is coming last and has been at the bottom of the table for such a long time.

    A club record of 16841 members for a team whose on field performances have been shocking.Ken Edwards had a goal of 40000 members and that is the type of CEO Parramatta needs someone who wants our club to be the best!

    Steve Sharp and Parra first board have sacked a man who has archived more in 9 months off the field than just about anyone did in 60 years before him.

    I had confidence in Ken Edwards in turning our club around but I have no confidence in Steve Sharp and the current dysfunctional board

    ReplyDelete