Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pink V is a Part of Me - by Darlene

Pink V is a part of Me!

Everyone has their own thoughts on what Women in League is. It could be holding tackle bags at training, maybe it’s filming the games, doing the stats, managing the team, running fundraising events, or even being club secretary. Yep, I've done all those and more. I loved every minute of it at my local team, the Thirroul Butchers. We were even in the Finals of the NRL One Community Grassroots Club of the Year! But for me, the best part of my involvement is with the Crystal Bears & Dragons WIL program since its humble beginnings almost 10 years ago (even though I am an Eels supporter).

The Dragons were the 1st NRL Club to start such a program and now it is under one of the club’s eight community pillars. Founded by a passionate Dragons supporter and owner of Crystal Bears, Elizabeth Kingston along with her daughter Melissah and a volunteer committee, every year they deliver a WlL Round better than the last. All funds raised go to the Joanne Mackay BCF. To date these ladies have raised more than $200K. This is a great effort but it’s the behind the scenes that really inspires you.  Elizabeth and Melissah put their own time and money into each event and that infectious enthusiasm has definitely rubbed off on me. 

Elizabeth hand makes jewellery, knits scarves and comes up with endless trinkets to sell at these functions. I was so inspired I just had to get involved.  I always helped out with minor preparations but in 2010 set off with my girlfriend and fellow Bee Gee (Butchers Girls) Lisa to raise $5000 for Joanne Mackay Foundation under the Dragons Pink V. After much talk and extensive training we embarked on our “Pink V's Conquer Kokoda”  journey- raising more than $11,600 (woo hoo-but that's another story).  This was just the start of my obsession.

This year we can boast the highest attendance to our WIL function where along with the Dragons Pink V jersey auction, we raised more than $25K.  We sold pink footy socks, scarves, jewellery, wine charms, had karaoke, silent auctions, raffles, cocktail slushies, cocktail food, guest appearances from Dragons players, former players, and Ambassadors.

I now consider this my personal mission to further develop this great work and would love to hear from the NRL Clubs out there on how they run their WIL Round and who runs it. 

Finally - do you have an unsung hero in your club that works tirelessly for the team or cause she believes in? I am proud to say we do at the Dragons -  Thank you Elizabeth we love you!

Love,

@LadiesWhoLeague






No comments:

Post a Comment