Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Who says nice guys finish last? - By Mary

Even though I call myself a massive Parramatta fan, I also call myself an NRL appreicator. As I continue to blog, I am sure you will all get a sense that I do have soft spots for many other teams and many other players.

Amidst all the bad press than the NRL is getting this week - it has been wonderful to see another wondeful player celebrated for his contribution to the game.

Yesterday, following Blake Ferguson being stood down from NSW State of Origin team, New South Wales were very quick to name South Sydney Rabbitoh, Nathan Merritt as his replacement. This will be Merritt's debut for the Blues and his selection was met by delight by most NRL fans.

So often as NRL fans we are confronted with negative press about our game ranging from behavioural indiscretions off the field, to serious and unlawful behaviour as well as controversy surrounding sponsorship of the game and gambling. However, for almost every NRL footballer who acts in a way which can bring the game into disrepute there are gentleman like Nathan Merritt, who throughout his time as an NRL footballer has had tremendous involvement with the Indigenous community, has played for the Indigenous All Stars (2010-12), has been selevted for the Prime Minister's XIII (2006, 2011) and has represented the City Origin side (2011, 2013).

I am absolutely delighted to see Merritt included in the Blues squad - it is a fitting reward for a footballer who is probably one of the most admired and respected in our game.

No longer can Nathan Merritt be called 'one of the best players to never play State of Origin'.


Love,

@LadiesWhoLeague

4 comments:

  1. Nathan Merrit like Hazem El Masri before him is very much one of the good guys. Unfortunately some have played the race card as the reason he hasn't been given a Blue Jersey before this. However if we were truthful I believe the real reason is his size & the fact QLD have Inglis & Hodges running & jumping against him. I'm pleased he has been given a go, but still have doubts. I really hope he proves me wrong. Go the BLUES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darren!

    I must say I do think Merritt has some defensive issue... but in terms of a good news story, it is wonderful to see Merritt get a call up. He has been in fantastic form and for once, it is nice to see a good guy finish first.

    Thanks for your comment!

    - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good news story indeed, but there's also been enough said about his defence, so I guess we'll just wait for Wednesday and see if he proves the doubters like me wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment!

    I too am a little concerned about his defence, but I was pretty excited to see Merritt recognised after so many years of being overlooked!

    ReplyDelete