Sunday, August 25, 2013

Rebecca Wilson v The Marshall's - By Hayley

Today, Rebecca Wilson did an opinion piece in the Daily Telegraph. Although I don't like to read Daily Telegraph articles anymore, someone made a comment on twitter which caught my eye so I decided to read it.

For those who haven't read the article, Rebecca gives her thoughts on the Benji Marshall saga. My first thought when reading the article was "wow, what a bitch". The attack Rebecca Wilson launched on Benji Marshall's wife, Zoe was uncalled for and just outright bitchy. There was no need for it. She is pretty much implying that Zoe Marshall has used her last name to launch her status. Zoe Marshall was already doing presenting gigs prior to meeting Benji. After making comments about how Zoe's column in the Daily Telegraph is the most read in the newspaper, it sounds like someone is a little jealous!

Rebecca then goes on to give her opinion on Benji Marshall. Her thoughts on Benji Marshall make what she said about Zoe look kind and caring. I'm not sure whether Rebecca Wilson is a disgruntled Tigers supporter or just a plain bitch, either way harsh comments like hers are not needed.

I thought I might take this opportunity to give my thoughts on the Benji Marshall Saga.

I think the whole thing has been handled terribly. Do I blame Benji? No, I don't. I blame his manager. Although Benji needs to take responsibility for his actions, I think he's been given bad advice. What player manager gets a handshake agreement on a players future? Having everything in writing is the number 1 rule when it comes to contracts. In trying to stop the Tigers going back on their 'handshake agreement', Marshall's manager had the whole drama play out in the media. He used the media to try and force the Tigers to agree to the terms they wanted. This made Benji look bad

We don't know whether there was a handshake agreement or whether Martin Tauber, Benji's manager, is lying to him. What we do know is that the only losers in this situation are Benji Marshall and the Tigers fans. It didn't need to get this messy.

I agree that Benji's on field form hasn't been great of late and I've never been a huge Benji fan, however I do think Benji should be given the opportunity to leave the NRL with dignity. I was outraged when Luke Burt was dropped to Wenty in his last year at Parramatta. There's just some players who have given so much to the great game and should get the same in return. I truly hope the Tigers fans don't boo him off the field in his last game.

Love,

@LadiesWhoLeague

No comments:

Post a Comment