Sunday, August 18, 2013

Refereeing Blunders - By Annelise

It's been that kind of weekend, hey? 

It started Friday night in Gosford. Now I'm a Manly fan so of course I'm a little bias. While I felt somewhat confident, I wasn't overly confident. It was our biggest game in a few weeks and it drew the crowd it should of (20,060 - a ground record). Souths had their two big guns in Sutton and GI returning, but had lost some front row power in Sam Burgess, so I had a bit more confidence.

I was happy with Manly's start. Our leader in Jamie Lyon crossed early and brought in some more confidence. But then the referee's started. The penalties to Souths brought them back into the contest. But the biggest blunder was the Steve Matai try, or no try. While Geoff Toovey summed it up well, (I'm happy to contribute to the fine), how could the referee's say he was held up if it was seen that Matai stopped before the line? If he were held up, he would have been OVER the line. That decision changed the game. It shifted momentum. While I understand that we could have stepped up a gear, I feel that decision changed the game.

The Dragons/Sharks game. Truly heartbreaking to any Dragons fan. I know. I worked last night, as well as my boyfriend (he's a Dragons fan). We avoided the score and waited until we got home at 11.30pm to watch the game. We were up until 1.30am watching the game. For most of the game we were confident that the Dragons could step up. The Beau Ryan try changed that game too. Did no official notice that Luke Lewis was offside? He was offside and involved in the play. They checked the onside on the first replay for Ryan but they didn't check Lewis. He was well offside and got involved by taking Nightingale off the ball. This changed the momentum of that game. The Dragons confidence fell and it left the Sharks with the confidence to break through the line and secure the game.

Just this afternoon in Newcastle, Cooper Cronk took Boys off the ball who would have scored a try. This is an obvious professional foul, which should have meant 10 minutes in the sin bin.

The referee's have lost their confidence. They aren't making on field decisions when they need to. They are sending most decisions upstairs because they can't make on field decisions.

If the referee's continue like this into the semi-finals and the Grand Final, one team will lose on refereeing alone. That really saddens me. I have dedicated myself to this game for 4 years now and have grown up with it in my household (i'm 21). It's all I've known sports wise. The referee's are driving me away from the game. I hate to say that, but it's true. This year alone, I have two memberships (Dragons and Manly), I have been to both Sydney State of Origin games and have travelled around NSW supporting the Dragons and Manly.

The NRL will lose fans like me if something isn't done.

What is your suggestion to change the current dynamic of referee's?

Love,

@LadiesWhoLeague

1 comment:

  1. i think that the referees need to be treated more like a business. In no real world business can you make that many mistakes and inconsistencies and keep your job. fact of the matter is they kee stuffing up, are ruining the organisation and so should all be fired. i dont think it is the referee boss's fault- he doesnt make the decisions on game day. i just think that the actual referees need to be held accountable. stop showing them so much compassion but saying "ooops it was a mistake we'll fix it next week". thats not good enough

    ReplyDelete