Sunday, September 15, 2013

Is it ever ok to change teams? - By Sam


I sit here wondering… I am more than likely twice the age of everyone else that posts something on LadiesWhoLeague! Should I really write this?? Will anyone even want to read it??

I was luckily born into a family that follows league! They are all staunch South Sydney Rabbitohs supporters; the only allowed exception to this rule was for the in-laws! They were frowned upon but welcomed into the family. Come league season if Souths won the game against their team they were given hell, but of course if their teams actually won they were sent to the dog-house.

The family and I of course (I wasn’t game enough to do otherwise), supported the Bunnies through thick and thin… and of course they could do no wrong.

Occasionally I was taken to the football to watch the all 3 grades play, under 23’s, Reserve Grade and then First Grade. These were the good ‘old days’!! The Winfield Cup when League was League! Scrums were scrums and could be won against the feed. There was more fighting on the field then off. Food was eatable and there was more grass then chairs!

In the 90’s:
  • I married a Parramatta Eels supporter!  
  • I had 3 children (all raised Souths Supporters of course). My son decided to follow his father and pretend to support Parramatta. My daughters liked fluffy white bunnies so that was an easy win!
  • My then husband, whilst being a Claytons Eel supporter (a supporter but not fanatical) was not one to go to games and was unfazed if he missed the game. 
  • Oooo and of course in 1999 Souths Sydney were kicked out of the NRL Competition. 
During the coming years we sort of stopped supporting the game on principle. We would not return to the League fold while Souths were out.

A lot happened for me in 2002.
  • I divorced the before mentioned Husband. 
  • I met my now Husband and yes another Parramatta Eels supporter! 
  • Souths were re-admitted into the 2002 competition.
This Husband was a ‘fanatical’ supporter who watched every game no matter who was playing. Until now I had never experienced someone so passionate about his team, well League in general but especially the Parramatta Eels. We had fun fighting about ref’s decisions and dirty players etc. when it was Souths vs. Parra, but League was something that was only a game for me yet a part of his heart and soul.

Come 2009, every Eels supporter knows what is special about this year; can’t remember why but I sat with him and watched the Round 26 game against St George. Stunned at the 37-0 loss we decided that it was not possible for the rematch to be a repeat of the week before. I found myself eager to sit with him and watch the rematch. Didn’t I have a happy husband when a different Parramatta team turned up for the game at Kogarah and came out winners 12-25?

After that game we decided that we would try to buy tickets to the Semi-Final match against the Titans. Eels kicked butt 27-2, and stormed their way into the Preliminary Finals. To this day I can still feel the energy, emotion and excitement of the day. Looking around ANZ Stadium you could see a base of blue and then you could see a dividing line cutting the stadium in half; half gold and the other white. By this match I didn’t even notice myself wearing a Parramatta jersey... Was this starting to say something about where my alliances now lie??

Parramatta again came away victors winning by 22 points to 12. Here we go… After living my life in Sydney I was about to (hopefully if we could get tickets) go to my first GRAND FINAL! How cool was that!!

Seeing the players run out I realised I could actually name who was who… It sounds silly but nevertheless something that I was never able to do for South’s. I could tell who stuffed up and who was having a good game. We all know how that game ended… Parramatta losing to an illegal Melbourne team 23-16.

The past few weeks saw me go through the adrenaline rushes with my husband. I saw him really enjoy being at the games. We had discussed getting memberships over the last couple of years, but for which club?? Parramatta or Souths?? What game do we go see if they are both playing at home on the same day?? Let’s face it really… I enjoyed being with him watching Parramatta run around! Knowing the players, recognising the players.

In the end it was a no brainer really… We went and bought season tickets to the Parramatta Eels. It turned out to be the best decision we have made. We have fantastic people that sit around us. We have met some great supporters through Twitter. These people have become part of our extended family! I really hate the off season, not seeing our family, not seeing the boys run around.

Now I’m not going to go into anything about the recent happens at the club… that’s for another post.

All I will say is that I am:
  • Upset that we have lost or are losing some really really good young players like Cheyse Blair and of course one of my favourites Nathan Smith! Here’s hoping that now that Ricky has gone Nathan will be given another chance to show how good he is.
  • Hopeful that the Board get themselves together.
  • Amazed that Denis Fitzgerald still thinks people care what he thinks and wants.
  • Happy with the current office staff… I can see the big picture and am liking the way they are taking the Club.
I am EXTREMELY happy with my decision to change my allegiance; to throw my support and passion behind Parramatta Eels and become part of the BLUE’N’GOLD ARMY. 

Love,

@LadiesWhoLeague

No comments:

Post a Comment