Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Reni, set go! - By Hayley

Last week when Mary told me about her idea for 'Player Appreciation Week' I thought this was a great idea. Mary encouraged all contributors to @LadiesWhoLeague to write a post about their favourite player. My only problem is I have so many favourites. How was I going to choose just one to write about? My list of faves includes Jarryd Hayne, Reni Maitua, Mitchy Allgood, Ryan Morgan & Darcy Lussick. I also consider Dan Morts & Justin Horo to be on my list of faves even though they no longer play for my beloved Eels. The team is such a great group of guys, it's hard to just choose one favourite.

I've already written blogs about Jarryd & Mitch. Morgs & Darcy have long careers ahead of them so there's plenty of time to write about them. That leaves our departing co-captain Reni Maitua. I thought it would only be fitting to write a post about him as he leaves the Eels to go back to where it all started for him, the Bulldogs.

Reni has had a troubled past. Prior to being banned for testing positive to a banned substance in 2009, he wasn't exactly the poster boy for the NRL. What I think is great about Reni is that he's living proof that people can change.

Reni has turned his life around since being banned from the NRL back in 2009. Since coming back he has a greater sense of maturity about him. He could have easily given up after 2009; instead he trained hard & kept motivated. His hard work paid off when Parramatta rewarded him with a contract at the end of his 2 year suspension.

If I'm honest, I was skeptical at first. I didn't want someone with his past at our great club. Well Reni has definitely proved me wrong. The motivation and determination he showed during his ban and the maturity he has shown since returning to the NRL field is truly inspirational. Some people may argue that someone with Reni’s past should never be called inspirational but I do think people can change. It wouldn’t have been easy training that whole time not knowing whether you were able to get another contract. Players get through the gruelling pre-season knowing it’s only a few months before they’re back on the footy field. Reni didn’t have that luxury, he had to find another way to keep motivated. It’s how you react during times like this that truly shows your character. Reni has shown he’s a motivated, hardworking professional athlete.

Some people may think the way Reni handled himself after being told his services were no longer required at Parramatta after the 2013 season was unprofessional. I think it’s yet another way that he has shown his maturity. I’m sure this would have been very hard to hear for Reni and even the other players involved. For him to be able to admit that his head is not in the right place for the game that weekend would have been a tough decision to make. A lot of people don’t see it this way but he was making the best decision for himself and his team mates. All the time I hear Parramatta fans complaining about how some players hearts aren’t in there; if they’re not going to put in 100% then they should leave. Well Reni admitted this and chose to sit out, why were people so annoyed at this? Some people had the view that he is a professional sportsperson and gets paid well so he should suck it up. My response to those people is; just because he gets paid a lot, he’s still only human. I ask you all to put yourself in Reni’s position. How many of you would chuck a sickie if your boss told you they were making your role redundant in 4 weeks and you were no longer needed? At least Reni was man enough to be honest about it.

I am terribly sad to see Reni go. In his short time at the Eels he has made an impression on many fans. I would have hoped he would finish his career at Parramatta but I know I will always consider myself a Reni Maitua fan no matter where he ends up…even if it is the Bulldogs.

Love,

@LadiesWhoLeague

No comments:

Post a Comment