Sunday, September 15, 2013

Saturday Night's Goose-athon - By Hayley

Jonathan Thurston, you are a goose; maybe even more of a goose than the 6 officials on Saturday night who can’t count to 6.

I was celebrating my best friend’s wedding on Saturday night so did not watch the game, nor have I seen footage of the set of 6, or I should say 7, which has been the talking point since Saturday. I have however, heard the outrage it has caused. Referees are humans and are always going to make mistakes, it happens all the time but is just less tolerated in finals and Origin games.

If I was a Cowboys fan I would be absolutely fuming that this has happened and they have every right to be. Did it lose them the game though? No, I do not think it did. If Sharks didn’t score then, I highly doubt the final score would have been 18-14. Who knows what could have happened if that set finished at 6 tackles. Sharks could have kicked the ball on the 5th and Cowboys could have dropped the ball right on their line and Sharks could have scored on the repeat set of 6 anyway. We don’t know what could have happened. This is why I don’t think the Cowboys should be reinstated into the finals as the petition suggests. As disappointing as it is, this sometimes happens and the final result needs to stand.

The fact that they have been a victim of poor referring in Finals matches 2 years in a row must be devastating for the fans and players.

This brings me to the most ridiculous part of the whole saga. The conspiracy theory that the NRL want an all Sydney Grand Final due to Queensland’s dominance in State of Origin. In Thurston’s defence it was the media who put the thought into his head by asking the question but he did agree with it and has run with it. There is absolutely no way that this is the case. When people look at Queensland club teams, they don’t think of Origin. The majority of Queensland players play for non-Queensland club teams. It was an absolutely ridiculous comment.

If the referees were trying to have an input into the outcome, would they not do something that was more likely to guarantee the result? Looking at the stats it looks as though it was a fairly even contest. The penalty count wasn’t even lopsided, it was fairly even. It’s not like the Cowboys had the better stats but Sharks won anyway.

If the NRL allow the Cowboys to be reinstated into the Finals then they should go through every game this season as a team that was 1 win away from making the finals could have lost a game due to an incorrect referring decision during the season. Where do we stop? By requesting that Cowboys are reinstated are they asking for the Sharks to be kicked out? Why do the Sharks deserve to be kicked out over a poor refereeing decision if the Cowboys don’t deserve it?

I know if it was my team I would be signing that petition and would be doing everything I could to make it happen. It’s not my team though and I am able to look at the situation without the emotion and can see it’s not the right decision to have them reinstated. It’s unfair but unfortunately life is not always fair. Hopefully we can get through the rest of the Finals series with no more drama.

Love,

@LadiesWhoLeague

No comments:

Post a Comment