Monday, September 23, 2013

This week in NRL - by Mary

Good morning everyone,

I have a couple of issues to blog about this morning, so expect this to cover a couple of issues.

First of all - I am expecting some tremendous football this weekend. The four teams that remain in the Finals race have played some very exciting football in the last few weeks.

I can't wait to see Steve Matai and Sam Burgess on Friday night - the niggle factor will certainly be there. I am looking forward to seeing the Souths fans in their red and green hopeful that their team progresses one more week till the big dance.

Most people know I have been on the Roosters bandwagon since the Finals began. While the Roosters have been in sensational form, the Knights are certainly proving to be the surprise packet in this years Final. After their last 2 performances, they certainly deserve their Finals spot and following their defeat of Melbourne, I would not be surprised to see them upset a red hot Roosters side.

Whatever the result, the NRL will be licking its lips come Grand Final weekend - 3 teams based in the heart of Sydney and the Knights should generate plenty of NRL excitement in the greater Sydney area (even if one of the teams happens to be Manly). Will we see the 'NSW conspirary' argument raise its head in the next week and a half? Undoubtedly.

I also wanted to make a brief comment on an article by Rebecca Wilson which appeared in the Telegraph over the weekend. You can read that story here. In this story Wilson describes the new ARLC as a 'rabble' and outlines the failings of the new Commission including Grant's lack of leadership and a weekend of football with 'appalling operational stuff-ups'.

This article bothered me tremendously. Was it because I love NRL and I saw Wilson bad mouthing my sport? Probably not, considering that I have had my fair share of negative comments about the NRL this weekend.

I think its because I feel as though it is very easy to criticise and not offer any solutions. Further, Wilson has focused on all the negativity surrounding League this year when, particularly in the lead up to the Finals, the focus should largely be on the teams still competing and the success that the NRL has had this year.

We are faced with the prospect of 2 sensational games of football this weekend - we should be looking to celebrate this and in due course reflect on the year that has been and how we can improve next year.

In other NRL news, Mitchell Allgood has pleaded guilty to a charge of mid-range driving under the influence of alcohol. The case has been adjourned till December 18.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't extremely disappointed to hear this news - particularly after all I have said about players being role models throughout the year. This charge followed Mad Monday celebrations and ties nicely into the articles we wrote here on @LadiesWhoLeague about what role Mad Monday should play in upcoming NRL seasons.

I am pleased that Mitch will be completing a drtiving offenders course and that his fine will be donated to a charity of his choice. I look forward to Mitch moving forward from this incident and continuing to be the fine role model for the Parramatta Eels and for the community at large which I know he can be.

Finally, here at @LadiesWhoLeauge we are getting very excited about the Dally M's. Hopefully we'll be tweeting live from the event - keep your fingers crossed.

Love,

@LadiesWhoLeague

No comments:

Post a Comment